Tuesday 8 March 2011

Shrove Tuesday

Shrove Tuesday, That's today, the day where traditionally you use up all the fats and creams and things similar. Most popular name for today is Pancake Tuesday! Ash Wednesday is tomorrow and that is the start of Lent, traditionally the fast from meat, eggs and dairy products. On Ash Wednesday and Good Friday it is customary to fast for the day, with no meat, eating only one full meal, and if necessary, two small meals also. Traditionally, on Easter Sunday, you may cease your fasting and start again whatever was given up for Lent, after they attend Church on Easter Sunday.
So now we know the basic of the tradition, how does that effect us in this day and age?
Well I do believe in the importance of fasting for a few different reasons. - To bring us closer to God, - to remind us not to get caught up in earthly things, - To cleanse the body - its very healthy to fast! -A state of mind eg: I control food, food doesn't control me. -To sacrifice something to remember the ultimate sacrifice. And many many more reasons.

What am I going to do for Lent if anything?
This year I am going to have only two small healthy meals on both Ash Wednesday and Good Friday. I will also cut out most of the fat, butter, and some sugar and dairy products until Easter Sunday.

And Yes I did enjoy my pancakes today!!

No comments:

Post a Comment